May 18, 2013
Elizabeth Wood, Assistant Superintendent
5 Chelsea Place, Clifton Park, NY 12065 • 518-881-0640
The Shenendehowa Central School District has a long-standing commitment to and tradition of excellence.
• The district has consistently graduated more than 90% of its students with a Regent's diploma. On average, more than 60% graduate with an Advanced Regents diploma with honors.
• Many Shen students graduate from high school with a semester or more college credits.
• 90% or more of Shen graduates are annually enrolled in a two- or four-year college or university, with many attending some of the world's most prestigious universities.
• Shen students consistently outperform their peers across the state on NYS standardized tests and across the country on ACT and SAT exams.
To develop and implement high quality educational programs aligned with the Profile of a Shenendehowa student and consistent with the Essential Content and Competencies and the district's values and beliefs, recognizing that children develop and learn at different rates and in different ways.
The Profile of a Shenendehowa Graduate, Middle School Student and Elementary Student is the foundation for the instructional program, these expectations defines in broad statements WHAT our students will need to know and be able to do upon completion of each level
Through the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Initiative, governors and state commissioners of education from across the country developed a “common core of standards that are internationally benchmarked, aligned with work and post-secondary education expectations, and inclusive of the higher order skills that students need.” In 2010, the NYS Board of Regents adopted the CCSS for math, English language arts and literacy in history/social studies, science and technical subjects. While the Core Standards for College and Career Readiness build on the work Shenendehowa has already done in developing a standards-based system, there is still much to be done to foster 21st century learning and teaching that includes national and international models of exceptional education.
Shenendehowa will be
aligning its Essential
Content and Competencies with the Common Core
Standards. The ECCs describe the specific skills that students
MUST DEMONSTRATE at each grade level in each
content area. This ensures a curriculum that is connected from grade to
grade and avoids unnecessary overlaps and gaps in the
Performance Tasks are specific problems and projects designed to ASSESS whether or not students can demonstrate their mastery of the skills outlined in the Profile and EC&C.For more information on the performance tasks, please contact the Curriculum, Instruction and Learning Office at 881-0640
As part of the district's goal to "foster innovative 21st century learning and teaching that is aligned with the Profile of a Shen Student, common core standards and national core standards," Shen began to implement curriculum mapping this year.
to view a presentation video.
Curriculum maps are an electronic database that allows educators to look at a student's learning experience and build on what students have learned in previous years to prepare them for future classes and achievement. It serves as a detailed lesson plan for the school year's curriculum that is aligned with district, state and federal standards. It provides the means to:
• Determine a sequence for delivering content and provide a clear scope for what must be taught to all students.
• Ensure consistency and collaboration by aligning the curriculum both horizontally (within on grade level) and vertically (K-12), organizing content, skills, assessments, and resources.
• Make appropriate, immediate modifications to the curriculum by maping what's actually taught and when it's taught so that teachers can compare this with assessment data.