May 23, 2013
5 Chelsea Place, Clifton Park, NY 12065 • 518-881-0600
Parents are permitted to educate their children
at home in accordance with Education Law and 100.10 of the
commissioner’s regulations. Children of compulsory education age
must receive full-time instruction taught by competent teachers that
is substantially equivalent to that provided at their local public
The regulations provide detailed requirements for courses to be taught, required attendance and student evaluation. Specific provisions govern home instruction.
• Parents must notify the superintendent of schools in writing each year of their intention to educate their child at home.
• Parents must develop an individualized home instruction plans.
• Parents must submit quarterly reports.
• Parents must file an annual assessment indicating the student’s progress.
• Home School Packet (PDF)
• Board of Education Policy 8470 about home instruction
• NYS Education Department Part 100 Regulations for Home Instruction
• NYS Education Department Questions and Answers about Home Instruction