May 18, 2013
5 Chelsea Place, Clifton Park, NY 12065 • 518-881-0600
The Shenendehowa Central School District was
organized on January 14, 1950, by a vote of the residents of 21
former common school districts and one union-free school district.
These 22 schools in the towns of Clifton Park, Halfmoon, Malta, Waterford, Ballston and Stillwater (representing approximately 86 square miles) became officially centralized on July 1, 1950.
From 1950 through 1953, the district housed grades K-8 in 16 one-, two- and three-room school houses plus an eight-room school house in Round Lake. All high school students (gr. 9-12) were transported to one of four high schools: Ballston Spa, Mechanicville, Waterford or Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake.
In 1951, the School District voted to purchase 160 acres to build an 1,800-pupil school for kindergarten through grade 12. This land was part of the Shenondahowe or Clifton Park Patent of 1708. The Iroquois word “Shenondahowe” means Great Plains. That’s how the district became know as Shenendehowa Central Schools.
Organized by a vote of residents from 21 common school districts and one union free school district in Clifton Park, Halfmoon, Malta, Waterford Ballston and Stillwater.
Officially centralized and named "Central School District No. 2, of the Towns of Clifton Park, Halfmoon, Malta, Waterford, Ballston and Stillwater, County of Saratoga, New York."
District voted to purchase 160 acres and to build an 1,800 pupil school to house K-12. The area of the campus was part of the SHENONDAHOWE (Iroquois for Great Plains) or Clifton Park Patent of 1708. The Board of Education simplified the name at the time and began referring to the district as Shenendehowa Central Schools (the name would not be formally changed with the State Education Department until 1973).
Kindergarten students and gr. 8-12 moved into the main building that was Shenendehowa Central Schools (now Gowana/Acadia)
Grades 1-7 moved into rooms in the main building (now Gowana/Acadia) as they were being completed closing the numerous one- and two-room school houses.
Configuration change: K-12 in one building (what is currently Gowana/Acadia)
Additions made to Arongen (now Acadia).
A new wing was built on to the main building (now Gowana/Acadia).
Configuration change: K-6 in Arongen (what is currently called Acadia) and gr. 7-12 in the High School (what is currently called Gowana).
District purchases 51 adjoining acres (Karigon/Orenda and Tesago/Skano are built on this parcel). Shenendehowa Junior High (called Middle A, then Koda, now called HS West Building) opened housing gr. 7-9.
Configuration change: K-6 in Arongen (what is currently called Acadia); gr. 7-9 in junior high (what is currently SHS Freshman Center); and gr. 10-12 in high school (what is currently Gowana)
Tesago (courage) and Skano (peace) Elementary Schools opened housing gr. K-6
District purchases an additional 25 acres adjacent to the campus (bus garage area).
Orenda (great spirit) and Karigon (to join together) Elementary Schools opened housing gr. K-6.
Shenendehowa High School was built and housed grade 9-12. The original high school building (currently called Gowana) is named Middle School B and the original junior high school building (currently called HS West Building) is named Middle School A. They house gr. 6-8.
Configuration change: K-5 in five elementary schools; gr. 6-8 in two middle schools; and gr. 9-12 in the high school.
District purchased 94 acres east of Moe Road.
Jerome Rosen donates land to on Cresent-Vishers Ferry Road (Okte)
Robert VanPatten donates land on Round Lake Road (Chango)
In compliance with State Education Law, the official name of the district was changed to "Shenendehowa Central School District at Elnora" (at the time Elnora was the primary post office).
Because of increasing enrollments, the ninth grade was moved to the middle schools and sixth grade was moved to the elementary schools.
Configuration change: K-6 in five elementary schools; gr. 7-9 in two middle schools; and gr. 10-12 in the high school.
Okte (to achieve) Elementary School opened housing gr. K-6.
Chango (happy and cheerful) Elementary School opened housing gr. K-6.
Middle School A is renamed Koda (friend) Junior High (currently HS West Building) and Middle School B is renamed Gowana (great) Junior High.
District’s name formally changes to "Shenendehowa Central School District at Clifton Park."
District office moves from Winan’s Wing in Arongen (currently named Acadia) to Fairchild Square.
Additions to Skano/Tesago and Karigon/Orenda are made.
All campus kindergarten classes are moved to Arongen.
Configuration change: Arongen (now called Acadia) K-6, North and South elementary schools are gr. 1-6, Okte and Chango are gr. K-6; gr. 7-9 in two junior highs, gr. 10-12 in the high school.
Four-room addition made to the high school.
Addition to Chango Elementary.
Addition to Koda and Gowana junior highs.
Arongen (currently called Acadia) closes because aging infrastructure is in poor condition. New building opens on Clifton Park Center Road. It is named Arongen and houses grades K-6. Kindergartners in housed in the closed now Arongen building (Acadia) move back to campus schools.
Configuration change: K-6 in seven elementary schools; gr. 7-9 in two junior highs; and gr. 10-12 in the high school.
Old Arongen renovated, reopened and renamed Acadia (place of plenty) it houses all of grade 6.
Configuration change: K-5 in seven elementary schools; g. 6 in Acadia; gr. 7-9 in two junior highs; and gr. 10-12 in the high school.
Additions to Gowana/Acadia facility and the high school are made.
Configuration change: K-5 in seven elem. schools; gr. 6 and 7 in Acadia, gr. 6, 7 and 8 in Gowana; gr. 8 and 9 in Koda (now called SHS Freshman Center); and gr. 10-12 in the high school.
Third middle school added to Gowana/Acadia building. It is named Koda. Four science classrooms are added to the old Koda and it is renamed Shenendehowa High School West. The high school is renamed Shenendehowa High School East.
Configuration change: K-5 in seven elementary schools; gr. 6, 7, and 8 in three middle schools; all of gr. 9 and half of grade 10 in Shen High School West; and half of gr. 10 and all of grade 11 and 12 in Shen High School East.
The community supports a referendum to add on to High School East Building allowing all of grade 10-12 to be housed there when construction is complete.
The community supports a referendum to purchase a building at 5 Chelsea Place off of Route 9 to house the district office personnel.
The Board of Education votes to rename the high school buildings. High School East will be named Shenendehowa High School. High School West will be renamed Shenendehowa High School Freshman Center.
The Board of Education votes to rename the high school buildings. Shenendehowa High School will be renamed Shenendehowa High School East Building. Shenendehowa High School Freshman Center will be renamed Shenendehowa High School West Building.
The district offices move from the leased space at 1 Fairchild Square to the district-owned property at 5 Chelsea Place.
Residents approve a referendum to build a new elementary school, a pool, a middle school addition and reconstruction/addition on to the transportation facility.
The new wing at the Shenendehowa High School East Building opens. HS East now houses all students in grades 10-12 and HS West now houses grade 9 only.
Shatekon (a balanced life), the district's eighth elementary school opens. It is attached to Arongen Elementary School.
The pool is opened attached to the Middle School Complex.
The new stadium is opened at High School East complete with a turf field, new track, concessions stand and restrooms. The bell tower is also built housing the 11 bells from the district's carillon.
The new trails project opens connecting the campus trails to the Town of Clifton Park trails network.
Before 1950, the district was made up of 22 one- and two-room school houses, 11 of which still had school bells. Rodney Winans, the first superintendent, helped to centralize the district. He brought the 11 bells together to the bell court on the main campus (now Gowana) and had them assembled into a structure they named "the Carillon." The bells are a symbol thatpays tribute to the schools and the towns that combined to form Shenendehowa Central Schools.
Age and the elements began to take their toll on the Carillon Bells. In the early 1990s, they were taken down and safely stored in one of the district's storage facilities until they could be refurbished and displayed properly once again.
In August 2009, after being cleaned and refurbished, the bells were assembled into a bell tower in front of the the High School East to be prominently displayed once again. While the bells are no longer able to ring, they will serve as a symbol for generations to come. The bell tower was paid for through donations from the Shenendehowa Educational Foundation.
Shenendehowa Central out on the plain so clear
Her Carillon bells are standing a symbol we hold dear
And through the years she'll guide us and help us on our way
We never will forget her but with honor will repay
Alma Mater, Alma Mater
to thee we sing our praise
Our standard our guide always