Second Grade Writing Process
* generate own list of topic ideas to be included in work- in-progress
* update topic list periodically as new ideas surface.
* discuss topic ideas with peers to add and clarify content.
* organize ideas for a writing piece using a story map, pictures,
lists, or other organizational tools.
* write drafts of writing pieces, using invented spelling as needed.
* skip lines when writing a draft so that information can be added at a
* discuss own writing drafts with peers and teachers.
* conference with peers on their writing piece telling such things as
what they liked about it and what they were wondering about a
student's writing piece.
* know how to use a conferencing form to record reactions to a peer's
* making changes in content of own rough draft; adding on, deleting,
cutting a part to reorder, responding to questions raised during
* use an editing checklist (created by the teacher and students) to edit
their own writing.
* conferencing with a peer to check for editing errors.
*use a picture dictionary to check spelling of words they choose to
* write revised and edited draft onto a finished form to share. Forms
may include: books, letters, posters, invitations, poems, travel diaries,
A story map helps students organize their thoughts.
Return to second grade page.
This page is maintained in accordance with Shenendehowa's web publishing guidelines by Francois/Coletta.